Tegucigalpa

Tegucigalpa

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

a gift

Today, an idea struck. I wanted to make someone smile. I wanted to make someone's day a bit brighter.

I've only heard stories of this happening to others before... they approach the counter at their nearest coffee shop and the person in front of them purchases their coffee. I've never seen this happen in person; to myself or others. Only stories. A gift certificate lay in my wallet, tucked between credit cards. Sure, I could be selfish and redeem it for four more coffees, but why? Money comes and goes, and being able to make a stranger smile is worth much more than money.

As I walked up the stairs from my local Snap Fitness to the Spyhouse Coffee shop that resided above, I grew excited. Walking in, the excited quickly faded as I noticed the line was empty. "Oh well, another day" I thought to myself. Alas, I spotted two elderly women walking towards the front door. Scooting in front of them in line in the knick of time, I placed my order. A Guatemalan coffee with hints of chocolate, toffee, and Grand Marnier. Turning towards my right, I asked one of the women what they would like to order, as I would buy their coffee. Then, the second.

They smiled and thanked me, saying they would cover the barista's tip. I'm happy, they're happy.

Most men and women my age are fresh out of college with thousands in debt. Every grain and morsel of ground-up coffee represented as money they sip away. Sure, I have my debts and payments as well, but money comes and goes. I would much rather brighten a strangers day than to save two or four dollars.

Slowly as I grow older, I am starting to realize the important of happiness in life. Money doesn't equal happiness. It does allow happiness to become easier to obtain, but it doesn't make happiness appear. I can sit on my bank account and watch the numbers increase, but where's the fun in that? Something in a savings account is always beneficial, and smart, but sitting on money whilst refraining from life experiences is toxic.

That's why I am starting to travel. That's why I have no troubles spending hundreds on a plane ticket. New experiences. New people. New smiles.

New life.

No comments:

Post a Comment