Tegucigalpa

Tegucigalpa

Saturday, September 6, 2014

melancholy waves


Drowsy. The only word to describe how I felt this morning when I woke. Much to my surprise, I awoke around 11am and mustered 8 hours of sleep. Perhaps it was the knock-off Nyquil I took last night. It may have been the guitar music I was jamming around 3am as well. My brain trying to stay as far away from the self-created music as possible.

I don't blame it.

Last night, original plans consisted of hitting the gym (again), but was then presented the opportunity to meet with friends, both new and old. Much to my surprise, someone I know through another group of friends was there last night as well. Chris was surprised to hear the name "Ian" before he saw it was actually me, and came to the conclusion that I'm the only "Ian" in Minneapolis. Apparently, when someone hears my name, it's me. Not Ian Jones. Ian Hunter. Ian Smith. I am the Ian in Minneapolis. Funny.

"$2 mystery bottles" were the theme of the night at Liquor Lyles. Ryan's persistent efforts to corral blonde women to our booth proved fruitless at times, but drew good chuckles from the table. My hands often met my face, in attempt to convey the message of "it wasn't me, it was him. I'm just here for the beers." Which I was.

I only had two beers. Earlier in the evening I had a glass of Balvenie "Doublewood" 12 year single malt scotch. Tasty. Sweet, smooth, and savory. Fondue au Fromage de Chevre was shared amongst my table guests. Delicious. A subtle evening, but one I enjoyed as deep conversations were had; laughs as well.

Apparently, playing guitar sounds much better after a beer or two. Around 2:30am I placed headphones around my head, turned on my amplifier, and pressed play on my phone. In only a few moments, I felt like the music I was playing sounded good. I was able to close my eyes and play along with the song without missing a note. Euphoric. I suspect I play with less fault because I'm more relaxed and less worried about missing a note.

Progress.

I now sit writing this at a coffee shop in Northeast Minneapolis. I'm sitting at a rather large table meant for 6 people. Five, including myself, currently occupy it. There's room for one more next to me. I grow used to the chair next to me being empty. I often wonder if someone will come fill the chair next to me, or choose to sit next to someone else instead. If the latter, I am always curious as to why they chose to sit next to someone else instead of me.

Was it the way I dressed? I'm wearing white shorts with a purple and grey striped t-shirt. Hideous wouldn't be an accurate description. Some effort was put into my outfit. Did I smell? Do I have "resting bitch face syndrome"?

Perhaps it was just a random choice. Usually is.


A couple with a small child sits at the table across from me. Apple Macbooks everywhere. Oddly enough, most patrons here seem to be productive: iMovie projects, photo editing, or writing. It's Saturday. The "work week" has leaked onto and stained the weekend.

My coffee turns lukewarm, only halfway finished. An "El Salvador" coffee; honey, graham, and hints of rum, I think. I should wrap this up and continue with my day. Cold coffee, unless iced, is no bueno. Soon I'll be on my way below the coffee shop to get in my daily workout. I've already bicycled 12 miles around the lakes near my apartment this morning, but that's not enough. Luckily, I was able to nab a bench at Lake Calhoun to rest. My "Game of Thrones" book was in the backpack I brought along, so I was able to sit in the sun and read a few chapters on the lakeshore for an hour or so. Quite relaxing.

I look forward to the evening.

Music: Gorillaz - On Melancholy Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment